Friday, September 7, 2007

Blondies with Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips


I like bar cookies because I can just put all the dough in one pan and then is goes right into the oven where it is not touched until it comes out resulting in less eating of the dough. Whenever I make cookies I am tempted to eat all of the dough while putting the cookies on the cookie sheet. It goes something like this. A mound for the pan, a mound in my mouth, a mound on the pan, a mound in my mouth.

Blondies are the alter ego of a brownie. They are similar in that they are both bar cookies. I guess that is really it. Blondies don't have any chocolate and taste more like chocolate chip cookie dough without the chocolate chips. These are so good and ultra chewy. I usually prefer a brownie over a blondie, but I am starting to like blondies more and more. I topped these with toffee bits and chocolate chips before baking them just because I had some. The toffee melted all over the top and made them even more deliciously chewy and also very rich. I only tasted a little corner before they were whisked away to a History Club meeting. This is a great basic recipe that you could add anything to: pecans, walnuts, reeses pieces, peanut butter chips...you get the idea. Personally, I like them plain with ice cream and a little chocolate syrup.
Blondies with Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips
1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1 egg-slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c toffee bits*
1/2 c chocolate chips*
*substitute other mix-ins if desired. Instead of sprinkling, you could mix them into the batter.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt, whisk.
Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Add brown sugar and mix well. Cool slightly.
Add egg and vanilla. Blend well. Add flour mixture a little at a time and mix well.
Grease a 9x9x2" pan. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle with toffee bits and chocolate chips.
Bake 20-25 minutes.

No comments: