Sunday, September 16, 2007

Honey Whole Wheat Bread


This is one of the easiest loaves of bread to make and it is so super tasty that you might just eat the entire loaf in one sitting. The bread flour gives it a great chew. I have a hard time making bread entirely out of whole wheat four. I just find it too dense for me. I like a combination of whole wheat and white flours better so that it is a little more fluffy. I made this loaf last week, but I'm making it again today because we are ready for more.


Honey Whole Wheat Bread

1 Tbls active dry yeast
1 c warm water (110F)
1 Tbls butter, melted
3 Tbls honey
1 c bread flour (all purpose is ok)
1 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt

In a large bowl, stir together the yeast and the warm water. Let it stand ofr 5-10 minutes, until foamy. Stir in the melted butter, honey, and flours. Add a bit more flour at a time if the dough is still sticky. Mine was and I added flour until it could be handled and was slightly sticky. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead into a smooth ball, about 2 minutes.

Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubles, 1-1 1/2 hours.

Remove dough and gently deflate. Grease a loaf pan. Roll dough into a 12 inch by 14 inch rectangle. Roll up dough and pinch seams and turn edges under so that it will fit into the loaf pan.

Cover with a dishtowel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 25 minutes at 4ooF. Let loaf cool before slicing.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Making this bread for the first time this morning. Getting ready to put it in the oven. Almost forgot to add the salt. You forgot to add that in the directions where you wrote "stir in the butter, honey and flours." I caught myself, but only after the first rise. I added the salt, mixed a little, put in the loaf pan and let it rise again. It rose fine, so hopefully all will be ok. Can't wait to smell/taste!