Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Jam Thumbprints



I love these cookies. My mom always made them at Christmas time, but they would taste great any time of year. Last February I went to Washington, DC and I bought some plum jam at Mt. Vernon. When I got home I was trying to think about what to make and I thought, "This would taste great in jam thumbprints." I actually made these cookies a while ago before this blog was going, but I happened to take a picture, so I'm posting it now. If you claim to not be a nut fan and you try to make these without nuts, I don't think they will taste as good. The nuts make these cookies what they are. Just chop them really fine. I am always looking for ways to use ingredients I already have so I drizzled the tops with melted white chocolate-I highly recommend it.

Jam Thumbprints

1/2 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg white
1 c chopped nuts (I used almonds. Pecans or walnuts would also be great)
Jam-Raspberry, plum, apricot, strawberry...

Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add the egg yolk and beat until fluffy. Add flour and salt; mixing well.
Shape into 3/4" balls; dip in slightly beaten egg whites, then roll in finely chopped nuts.
Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Press down center of each with thumb.
Bake at 350F for 15 min. Cool slightly then fill prints with 1/4 tsp each of jam. (You may have to push the centers in a little more before putting the jam in.)

No comments: