Monday, May 7, 2007

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns


Since I was trying to save money on groceries I decided to make my own hamburger buns because I already had all of the ingredients. It was actually pretty easy and they tasted so good. I only wish that I would have had a little bit more time for them to rise before I baked them, but we had to leave for church. I actually left the wheat bran out because that I did not have any.


Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

2 cups whole wheat flour, divided, plus more for kneading
1 c water, warm (110F)
2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast (1 packet)
1/4 c wheat bran
2 Tbls brown sugar
scant 1 1/2 tsp salt

Combine 1 c whole wheat flour, 1 cup water and the yeast in a large bowl and stir well. Let it stand, covered for 1-3 hours. The time is flexible, it just has to be bubbly. This will puff up too.

Stir in the remainig flour, wheat bran, brown sugar, and salt into the yeast mixture. Add more flour if necessary in Tablespoons until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bow;l. Turn out ontp a lightly floured surface and knead, adding extra flour as necessary, for 6-8 min.

Place in a lightly greased bow, turning once to coat with grease, cover and let it rise until doubed, 1 1/2 hours.

Turn risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal portions. Shape into rounds and flatten so they are about 3/4 inch thick. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for 45-50 min. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375F.

Bake rolls for 19-20 min, until browned. Makes 6 buns.

Note: Mine were definitely done at 19 min, so just check at the end to make sure they are not overbaked.

No comments: