Monday, March 31, 2008

Bacon and Leek Tart


I found this recipe in my Real Simple Magazine. It looks gourmet but was super easy to throw together. I was headed out to a baby shower that day and I decided to bring this along. I must say that it is perfect baby shower food or brunch food too. It was devoured quickly, but was ever so delicate looking, even though I'm sure it is loaded with fat. If you have never tried leeks I suggest that you do. I love them because although they look like a giant green onion, they are sweeter and don't have that "make you cry" attribute. I always have to wash them very well because they are always full of dirt when I buy them and you have to cut off all of the tough darker green parts.
This is a great little dish to serve along side some light soup or a little sandwich. I cut mine into smaller, oh I don't know...3 bite pieces? The only thing I would have done differently with mine is cut my leeks smaller width wise.


Bacon and Leek Tart

8 slices bacon, cut into 2 inch strips

2 leeks (white and light green parts) cut into 2 1/2 inch strips

1 17.3 ounce frozen puff-pastry sheets, thawed (I used a 16 ounce box from Trader Joe's and rolled it out just a bit)

4 ounces fontina cheese (or Swiss, but fontina just makes me say "yummmm").

Heat oven to 375F. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes, but not too crispy because you are also going to bake it. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings and return to medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3 minutes. Unfold the puff pastry and place on 2 parchment lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with the cheese and scatter the leeks and bacon over the tops. Bake until the pastry is golden brown and crisp, about 25 minutes. I even rotated mine halfway through. Cool and cut into squares. Serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

Raechal said...

mmm, that sounds super yummy!