Thursday, March 6, 2008

Magic in the Middles




Can I say RICH? Another success from the King Arthur Cookie Companion. These are a definite must for the peanut butter-chocolate lovers. They are incredibly chocolatey and the peanut butter filling is soft and perfect. I don't know if I didn't cream them long enough because the dough was pretty dry and dense. They were a little tricky to shape around the peanut butter filling, but I just sort of mashed it in there. They also cracked around the edges when I flattened them. I'm not sure if that was supposed to happen or not. They are very yummy though and my 4 year old had fun helping me to fill them. I was impressed with her skills. She was doing as well as I was.






Magic in the Middles
from King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
Dough:
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar (and extra for dipping)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Filling:
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
To make the dough: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In another medium-sized mixing bowl beat together the sugars, butter, and peanut buuter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the egg, beating to combine, then stir in the dry ingredients, blending well.
To make the filling:
In a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter and confectioner's sugar until smooth. Roll the filling into 26 one-inch balls. (I used a hand mixer to combine)
To shape the cookies:
Break off about 1 table spoon of the dough (It's about 1 level tlbs), make an indentation in the center with your finger, and press one of the peanut butter balls into the indentation.

Bring the dough up and over the filling, pressing it closed; roll the cookie in the palms of your hand to smooth it out. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Dip the top of each cookie in granulated sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2inces apart., Grease the bottom of a drinking glass and flatteneach cookie to about 1/2 inch thick.
Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes, until they're set. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.